Priest (2011)



During this past week, I was busy studying to finish my FCC licensing in preparation for teaching my next quarter class at PIA. However, that did not stop me from catching some interesting movies. One such movie was something different for me, the 2011 comic book based, Priest.  


Plot/ This post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, is set in an alternate world -- one ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. The story revolves around a legendary Warrior Priest from the last Vampire War who now lives in obscurity among the other downtrodden human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities ruled by the Church. When his niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires, Priest breaks his sacred vows to venture out on a quest to find her before they turn her into one of them. He is joined on his crusade by his niece's boyfriend, a trigger-fingered young wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess who possesses otherworldly fighting skills.


When I originally saw the trailer for this, I had no desire to watch it. Fortunately, for me, when I saw it available on one of my movie channels this past week, I decided to give it a shot. It was honestly nothing like the typical post apocalyptic movie I expected. Yes, it did have the usual action, gunfights, and poor dialogue. However, the decent cinematography, storyline and effects were good (even with CGI creatures).  In the end, this was an outstanding comic book transformation (wow, what a combo: action / western / horror) with a interesting feel. Sure, it is not thought provoking or an all-time great, but it is an entertaining way to spend 90 minutes (really 87 but whose counting). If you like this kind of stuff, check it out!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)