Pacific Rim (2013)



The trip to the drive-in Friday night was awesome. Not since watching The Amityville Horror and Sin City together did I find a more enjoyable double feature. While The Conjuring was all that I imagined, I was truly impressed by a movie outside my normal viewing cycle, the blockbuster creature feature Pacific Rim.


Plot/ As a war between humankind and monstrous sea creatures wages on, a former pilot and a trainee are paired up to drive a seemingly obsolete special weapon in a desperate effort to save the world from the apocalypse.


Growing up, I loved to watch creature features on Saturdays with Super Host. I can remember being amazed that Godzilla could pull off a drop kick… After some time, I lost interest in these flicks, as they became repetitive and anticlimactic. Pacific Rim may be the best creature feature I have seen. This blockbuster had it all, action, monsters, suspense, really, everything you need for a great Sci-Fi flick. More importantly, it featured solid acting, superb visuals, a detailed storyline that featured a remarkable amount of characterization and some tremendous CGI action sequences that created an amazing atmosphere. Sure, there were some minor pacing issues, but overall it was one of the better blockbusters I have seen. It also should go a long way at solidifying Guillermo Del Toro as one of the best filmmakers of the generation, as this is another one of his visual epics.  In the end, this was a bit outside my norm, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (although, I like The Conjuring more) and believe this is a movie that must be seen. Check it out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)