Blood Widow (2014)



After spending some time in the giallo regions, I decided it was time to check out a slasher. While I should grab something from my movie collection (which I am pairing down at the moment), I decided to hit Family Video to see what they had. My selection for the night was the 2014 entry Blood Widow from Midnight Releasing.


Plot/ After buying a nice house in the country, Laurie and Hugh, a successful young couple, throw a party for their friends. During the wild night a few friends decide to explore the abandoned and decaying boarding school next door, only to wake an emotionally broken killer: The Blood Widow.


As a fan of no-budget indie flicks, I see my fair share of low budget horror and can pick out the inherent flaws in those productions. For the most part viewers can expect flat characters, uneven acting, poor audio quality, and some plot holes thrown in for good measure. This film could be the poster child for that, as all of those were present, within a very clichéd storyline. While I did find the killer creepy with a fascinating look, it was definitely hard to focus with the out of place soundtrack and the severe audio problems. It was extremely muted and hard to pay attention to at times. It would be interesting to see how this movie played with better audio quality. Yes, it would still be far from perfect, but it may succeed in creating some better characters. In the end, I did find this somewhat entertaining in a 1980s sort of way. Sure, there are problems in the movie and it is not great, but neither were the straight to VHS flicks I watched in my youth.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)