We Are Still Here (2015)



While I have been enjoying my time away from softball over the past couple weeks, it has been nice to get back into the swing of some horror films to help me pass my time. I can only hope that this trend continues. Fortunately, I have Family Video up the street to add to my selections. The next film up from my weekend is the 2015 low budget entry We Are Still Here.


Plot/ After their teenage son is killed in a car crash, Paul and Anne move to the quiet New York countryside to try to start a new life for themselves. But the grieving couple unknowingly becomes the prey of a family of vengeful spirits that reside in their new home, and before long they discover that, the seemingly peaceful town they have moved into is hiding a terrifyingly dark secret. Now they must find a way to overcome their sorrow and fight back against both the living and dead as the malicious ghosts threaten to pull their souls - and the soul of their lost son - into hell with them.


This movie really surprised me. Usually, when a cover catches my eye at Family Video, I am destined to be bored out of my skull and/or subjected to the typical rehashed ilk that has been plaguing the horror genre for some time. In this case, once the movie moved past the initial growing pains, it was a decently clever low budget flick that had just enough of a mixture of comedy and horror to make it interesting. The performances really worked inside of the storyline and script and the performances were solid. One of the best facets of the film was the way it crossed genres being part occult thriller, part supernatural horror, part haunted house, and part slasher; having just enough of each to make it attractive to fans of all genres. Yes, the effects could have been better with a larger budget and there were some uneven moments that felt rushed (including the end sequences), but those flaws are minor in comparison to many movies in the same financial class. In the end, this one was one of the better low budget movies I have seen, and a movie that should be seen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)