Honeyspider (2014)



As I sit here tonight watching Return of the Jedi, preparing for my second visit to The Force Awakens tomorrow, I decided that I needed to finish the entry on my last flick from 2015. Yep, as a true horror fan, I decided to venture into the low budget arena to close my year, and found something from one of my favorite outlets, Brain Damage Films that fit the bill. After some thought last night, I decided on the 2014 entry, Honeyspider, to finish the year.


Plot/ It's Halloween day in 1989 and college student Jackie Blue wants to enjoy a quiet birthday in the midst of a chaotic semester at school. Her friend Amber has other ideas and persuades Jackie to come to the annual Monster Mash parties on campus after her shift at the local movie theater. As murder plays out on the silver screen during the theater's Halloween night Horrorthon, Jackie falls under a strange spell; all while a mysterious stranger watches over her every move. As the night unfolds, Jackie slowly unravels and everyone around her is turning up dead. Jackie finds herself helplessly trapped like prey in a spider's web, and all she can do is try to survive the night!


I had no idea what to expect with this one, as it seemed like a solid low budget entry to end my year with, and I went into it with no knowledge or expectations. What I found was something interesting; with a throwback atmosphere to the movies, I loved during the big box VHS age of the 1980s. Centered on Halloween, the mixture of the macabre, horror and occult aspects of that holiday was tremendous; it definitely fit into the feel. It also featured a solid soundtrack, some interesting effects, and an awesome addition of a movie within movie presentation with a classic slasher. Sure, it was not perfect with some uneven performances, subpar sound quality, the ending may turn some people off, and the run time was quite short, but those flaws are minimal and somewhat expected in any type of low budget indie horror flick. In the end, this may not be a perfect flick, but it is a lot better than many of the low budget entries out there and is a movie that made a perfect end to my 2015 year. Check it out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)