Children of the Corn (1984)



After diving into something that was somewhat out of my normal selections last night, I decided that it was time for me to go back into some of the films from my youth on Shudder. After some thought, I decided on the 1984 horror flick Children on the Corn.


Plot/ A young couple is trapped in a remote town where a dangerous religious cult of children believe everyone over the age of 18 must be killed.

]
Growing up a huge Stephen King fan and loving horror movies during the 1980s, I clearly remember this one from when it came out. At that time, I was a touch disappointed by the lack of blood and gore, but I also did not quite grasp the intricacies of atmospheric horror. All in all, this movie is quite tame (although there are some creepy moments sprinkled it). The performances are solid, the storyline works well with some suspenseful moments, and the soundtrack is perfect. Yes, it does lack the blood, guts, and nudity that were staples of most 1980s horror, but it is an entertaining trip into the occult/religious cult ideologies that saturate some parts of society. In the end, this may be one of my favorite King adaptations and a movie that struck a cord with me (I grew up next to a corn field). If you have not seen it, give it a shot you could do much worse.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)