Refuge (2013)



Once I left the softball field and caught the fourth episode of Twin Peaks: The Return, it was nice to get back to finding movies that will capture my attention. The next one did just that and left me wanting more. What was it; just the 2013 post-apocalyptic tale Refuge (AKA The Mansion).


Plot/ As food and supplies dwindle and the threat of marauders becomes more apparent, the family must ultimately face the decision to either stay in hiding or go in search of an elusive mansion they've heard of - that may or may not exist.


Now that I have finished the first four episodes of Twin Peaks: The Return, it was time to get back to my usual viewing cycle and I am glad that I did. This is a film that I knew nothing about and was excited to see how this film took on the post-apocalypse environment. What I found was something that was both atmospheric and entertaining, and a film that definitely stepped outside the box when creating this world. Similar to The Walking Dead minus the zombies, but that is in no way a bad thing. The performances are solid, the storyline enthralling, the cinematography is on point, and the entire movie works. To nitpick, some of the characterizations and decisions may not be perfect, but how many are really that way. In the end, there are a ton of positives in this film and it may be one of the best low budgeted flicks out there. Yes, it does lack zombies, but it more than makes up for it with its overall quality. Check this one out; it is a great addition to the post-apocalyptic world.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)