7 Witches (2017)



Last night, not only did I miss one of the best episodes of Twin Peaks to grace the screen, I was away from the computer and could not keep my posting streak. I did get to see an awesome concert with The Regrettes in a very intimate setting at Mr. Smalls Funhouse so that at least made the evening entertaining. To catch up today, I decided to finish with the 2017 independent entry 7 Witches.


Plot/ As their big day approaches Cate and Cody should be celebrating, they've got their family with them, they've rented an island for the big day, but unbeknownst to them, their wedding falls on the day when a 100-year-old curse comes to fruition. Instead of celebrating, they find themselves fighting for their lives as a coven of witches risen for revenge.


I knew nothing about this one when I picked it up at Family Video, and because of that, I was thoroughly satisfied with what I found. While there were some clichéd moments toward the end of the film and the idea may not have been overly original, it was an entertaining film that came across as a mix of art house cinema and a larger budgeted suspense flick. The characters were interesting, the cinematography was atmospheric and solid, and the pacing was fitting for the short run time. Yes, there are the clichés and the short run time will definitely turn some people away, but those elements are minor flaws in this intriguing flick. In the end, this one has just enough of a horror vibe to be somewhat satisfying. Yes, it is not the most original film out there, but it is better than many entries in the low budget arena. Give it a shot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)