Mulholland Drive (2001)



I know that I haven’t posted anything in a couple of days. With this being the start of travel softball season for Jo and the girls of Prestige Worldwide, I have been busy with practices and tournaments. However, after returning home rather early from a tournament, I decided that I would jump back into it. My selection was easy. While it has been some time since I revisited the world of David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive (2001), but with the release of Twin Peaks: The Return, I figured it was about time.


Plot/ After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesiac, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality.


It is hard to believe that this film was originally filmed as a pilot. Fortunately, it was not picked up as a series. While I am not saying this as a negative, because it would have made a hell of a series, I am saying it because it allowed Mulholland Drive to grow into one of David Lunch’s best films. While some may not enjoy it due to the strange and twisted storyline that many find confusing, others (like me) will find it a fascinating journey into the surreal. The performances are solid, the story effortlessly transitions from a bizarre landscape into a nightmare, the soundtrack is perfect, the technical aspects are marvelous, and the entire entry is an example of true cinematic mastery. Yes, it does get confusing, but that us but a minor speed bump in what is a truly entertaining flick. In the end, Mulholland Drive in many ways is the best movie from the master of surrealistic cinema, David Lynch. This is a film that must be seen, if you haven’t, you are missing out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)