The Boy (2016)



With two of the daughters out at sleepovers last night, I let Jo pick a movie for our viewing pleasure. While at first, I hesitated, I eventually gave in and watched the 2016 mystery/thriller The Boy.


Plot/ An American nanny is shocked that her new English family's boy is actually a life-sized doll. After she violates a list of strict rules, disturbing events make her believe that the doll is really alive.


I had stayed away from this one for a while, but my daughter finally convinced me to rent it last night and I am glad that I did. While the beginning was somewhat predictable (exactly what I feared), those moments quickly faded and this one became something more than I expected. The performances were solid, the characters were actually developed, the cinematography was good, and the storyline actually allowed for some atmosphere to build throughout. Yes, I did predict the twist ending, but it was hidden well with only subtle hints dropped into the plot. Sure, there could have been more blood and gore, but for what this movie is, it worked really well. In the end, this was a solid movie to watch with the kids and would be a great addition to any type of Halloween party for kids. Maybe it isn’t intense enough for diehard horror fans, but sometimes even we need a break. Check it out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)